While we all knew this for a long time, a new study is out that confirms extended use could cause cancer.
TIPS for somewhat healthy usage:
- Use the speaker phone as much as possible.
- Where not possible, use a WIRED headset
- Where wired is not possible, use a Bluetooth headset (Bluetooth poses its own unknown long-term risk)
- Do not let kids use cell phones, their skulls are thinner and ramifications might be worse
- If you use your cell phone as an alarm clock, keep it at least 3 feet from your body overnight (don’t put it under your pillow)
- When your signal is very low, the cell phone boosts the power to try keep the call connected and/or get a better signal. It is more dangerous at these times because radiation levels are greater than when you have a full signal.
- Do not put a cell phone in your pants/shorts pocket, especially when on a call. Just like the extended radiation can damage your brain, it can damage other parts of your body too. Without a thick, hard skull to protect it, your other organs are more at risk.
There are some products on the market to help cut down on radiation emitted from cell phones…
NOTE: I haven’t used these products to confirm their effectiveness, however, the documentation on each is compelling enough to consider them.
UPDATE-June 1, 2011:
There is a new link that lets you search for your phone to see how much radiation it emits.